While trying to eat clean and healthy, a piece of fish or chicken can get boring quickly. I love making a simple topping from panko breadcrumbs and nuts to add some flavor. You can find my pistachio topping HERE
A favorite for chicken breast, this pecan crust is so simple. Don’t feel like lugging out the blender? Pour whole pecans into a sturdy ziploc bag, crush with a meat mallet, pour the remaining ingredients in and there is your topping ready to go! If you have leftover topping, toss in the freezer for another time.
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dash of salt
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or any other fresh herbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- If preparing topping for chicken breasts:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Pound out the chicken so that they are of equal thickness. Whisk the dijon mustard and honey together. Glaze the tops of the chicken breasts with the mixture. You can just do the tops, or you can glaze the entire breast.
- Chop the nuts either by blender or ziploc bag and a mallet. Add in the melted butter, olive oil, panko breadcrumbs, salt, parsley/herbs, lemon zest and parmesan if using. Combine the mixture well. Add on top of the chicken or all over. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the inside of the chicken is 165 degrees.